Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CDP23: THING 1

Dr. Seuss' "Cat in the Hat" does it backwards, introducing Thing 2 and then Thing 1, but I guess librarians prefer the normal order of progression. My blog, however, is leftover from Polly Farrington's CDLC 10 Things learning experience so maybe that does qualify as a Thing 2.

I am a Children's Librarian at Saratoga Springs Public Library in Saratoga Springs, NY--a small town that expands in the summer to host a premier flat track venue. I also enjoy running and snowshoe racing and writing about my experiences in a number of publications including Adirondack Sports & Fitness and UltraRunning Magazine and the online Snowshoe Magazine.

I am old school, graduating from a pre-computer library program when filmstrips and overhead projectors were the media of choice and self-correcting electric typewriters were hot off the shelves. So what I really want to do is feel comfortable with at least some of the overwhelming media choices besides my fall-back email account. I am not sure what I am searching for, but at the very least I would like to be able to speak the language and comprehend the necessity of it all. Ideally, I would like to become more familar with publishing media available to new authors.

What I absolutely hated the mostin our Thing 10 series was RSS feeds. It is beyond my comprehension how folks could have that many hours in the day to devote to media bombardment. There is somethig to be said for concentrarion and focus. Oh well, in case you were taking bets--I am 64 years old. But I do churn out 50 milers, which is more than some folks can safely drive in a day, as well as marathon library Gingerbread workshops. So I teetering at the top of the hill but by no means over it.

laura clark

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow employee, I can totally vouch for Laura and all her many talents and abilities.

    Hey Laura...glad we are both going another round with some online learning...looking forward to Tech Thurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I'm a fellow oldster! :-) So glad you guys are continuing on with this 23 things program. You'll keep me encouraged. Wowza - 50 miles???? At my best, I could only do a slow run for 3 miles.

    ReplyDelete