Thursday, October 6, 2011

CPD23: Thing 22

Volunteering in general is a good thing.  Theoretically, volunteering at a library when you are unable to land a position could also be a good thing. IF you have the disposable time and income. IF you are guaranteed meaningful projects. With library schools in the States now requiring internships, one would hope a prospective librarian would have already acquired at least some practical experience. If this is not the case, it may be possible to work as a part time clerk or substitute librarian to get an "in."

Personally, I have never had the luxury of delaying employment.  My graduation from library school coincided with the birth of my first child.  If I wanted to work I had to at least make enough to afford day care.  Plus, my degree took a long time to obtain.  At first I worked full time while going to grad school.  After I married and moved, I took as many credits as I could in a nearby college.  Finally, whne my husband returned once more to fight in Vietnam, I moved closer to home base and was able to finish up.  I was proud of the degree that took me so long to get and I felt I should be able to get "full value."
        by laura clark

That much said, with my husband's military career I moved around a lot and did not have the luxury of waiting until a position miraculously opened up. Since I also had teacher qualifications, I substituted at all levels from preschool special ed through high school and  became the substitute librarian.  This also led to a position with City Colleges of Chicago as an adjunct professor teaching writing and library science., not to mention several library positions in school and public libraries.

Not all of these jobs were true career path opportunities, but they led there and I acquired valuable knowledge along the way.  Perhaps someone who is currently working has more pull than someone who does not seem as serious about entering the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment