Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Thing #4: Online Communities

I joined LinkedIn and Goodreads.  Linked in is going rather slowly.  I have maybe four friends, only one of whom has posted anything.  But he is a scientist and I have no idea what he is saying anyway. But that's only fair since I am not a great correspondent, being still married to email.  I learned that email is passe but it still works for me--especially since you can contact folks who aren't necessarily your friends.  The way I see it--why not have one communicator where you can contact everybody rather than having to split your personality among various groups?

I can see the value if you are interested in a particular topic.  Hence,
my Goodreads membership.  Since I write book reviews, mostly on sports books, I was excited about the possibilities.  I discovered 2 groups focused on running and endurance sports.  Both had three or four members, neither of whom have posted anything.  Guess they would rather be out running!  On the other hand, I have met a college prof through email and my work with the Adirondack. Marathon with whom I exchange suggestions.

How can libraries use online communities to connect with customers?  I guess if you were having a preschool music program, etc you could connect with various groups who might be interested.  I can really see how an online book discussion group would be fun, especially if it were in real time. 

laura

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, email is still my main way to communicate. But Facebook & twitter are close seconds. But I don't have them open and running all day, I just can't concentrate that way, though I have friends who can.

    I've set up email notifications for both FB & twitter. So if something is trying to reach me through either of them, I get an email. Very old skool of me. :)

    ReplyDelete