Friday, May 13, 2011

THING #7: Productivity & Collaboration Tools

Thing #7 is the most useful yet!  I pretty much explored all the tools.
I was tempted by Evernote and Zotero but needed to download more current versions of Firefox and we are not authorized to do so on our work computers.  I did explore as much as I could though and decided it would probably be more work to implement for the usage I would get out of it.
I was delighted to discover the PDF converter.  Several times this year I have needed to convert from MS Word to a PDF and now I know how to do so!  The process was extremely simple.
On my home computer I purchased BackBlaze.  While I do have an external hardrive, it is cumbersome to use and of course you have to remember to use it!  This is so simple and at roughly $4 per month is definitely worth it.  Especially since I have an elderly computer.  I was delighted to discover that the service makes it possible to resurrected previously deleted versions of a document.
I flirted with joining delicious but decided to do so would be the internet equivalent to accumulating piles of paperwork clutter.  But I will access it to locate popular sites on a particular subject I am researching.
As for the calendars and reminder lists, I am content with my little slips of paper. I figure if I can’t get through to do list items in a week, it’s never going to happen anyway.  There is something very satisfying about crumpling a piece of paper!
I was intrigued by Goo.gl with its promise convert long URLs to short ones—until I tried it and discovered that the shortened versions were perhaps even less user-friendly as far as ease of memorization is concerned.

1 comment:

  1. I sleep much better knowing that BackBlaze is at work for me. I still backup to a local external hard drive too, but that's just me being obsessive.

    How old is your version of Firefox? Evernote worked on my old version of FF3.

    ReplyDelete