Tuesday, May 3, 2011

THING 6: Online Meetings

I was stretched for discretionary time this week since I am having dental surgery tomorrow (groan) so I chose to view an Archived Webinar.  I chose Booklist and selected Defending the Right to Read: Celebrating Banned Book Week, partially since I have always been interested in that topic and also because Judy Blume was on of the speakers.  It featured a panel of 5 varied experts--publisher, author, librarian, etc and it was interesting to get the varied points of view. Judy Blume pointed out that as an author you can't get truly into your characters if you are worried that their every thought will be censored.  She is so famous, of course, that the publishers leave the decisions up to her.

I was rather disappointed that I coulcn't attend anactual time meeting, but this one ran over, leaving no time for questions anyway, so even realtimers had my same experience.  I wonder if that happens a lot?  Experience seemed the same as attending a big library conference except you could clean off your desk while listening.  Not at all like an actual monthly meeting which is mostly interchange.

We might try to set up a meeting next week....if next week's Thing isn't too time-consuming...hint, hint.

laura

No comments:

Post a Comment