Tuesday, May 24, 2011

THING 9: eBooks

OPTION 2:
I tried downloading an ebook onto our library's IPad. No problem except it took a surprisingly long time. I also felt guilty since I had no intention of actually reading the book. As there is no way of "returning" it early, I essentially kept someone else from reading it. So I tried to select a book I deemed uninteresting--but who knows how others would feel!

OPTION 3:
I investigated many of the sites Polly included. Personally, I don't own a hand-held device, but I am excited by the possibilities. Non-fiction could be enhanced with sound clips, at-you-fingertip references, etc. making reading more of a multi-media experience. I am not quite sure about the choose-your-own-adventure mode. While it would be great to follow the story from different characters' points of view, as in Poisonwood Bible, I am not sure if I would enjoy having my book enhanced wikipedia-fashion by whoever happened to download before me on Overdrive.

Professionally, it would be great if eBooks would solve the out of print dilemma and allow for more frequently updated texts. It widens the playing field for those who need large type books.

I am attending next Thursday's NYLA session on eBooks so I might have more to say after that.

laura

No comments:

Post a Comment