Wednesday, August 10, 2011

CPD23: THING 12 Social Networking

Social Networking is not my strong point. Or rather, I take it on my own terms, mostly relying on email contacts. Lack of time is one factor, but also to me email seems more like heading into a specialized store instead of a seven layer department store.

I imagine a big appeal of social networking is in its sychronicity, the idea that you can discover long-lost friends or discover similar interests with people from all over the country. Because I do some free lance writing on the side, I also experience this synchronicity through email in the course of my writing assignments--something that I may not otherwise experience if I did not have this outlet.

As part of this course, a few weeks ago I joined Linked In. In an effort to actually use it I went back today--a few weeks after joining--and scanned the list of folks knocking on my door. I added some local librarians and a few magazine editor contacts and will see what happens. I am actually looking forward to a more focused approach to supplement random emails.

However, along with local folks on the list who I do not really know, there was my daughter's old college roommate. They had never kept in touch
So how did she find me? I'm guessing she didn't and LinkedIn somehow did which is even scarier. She and my daughter had a falling out and my daughter isn't even on LinkedIN. Makes me want to rethink.

Advantages to social networking rather than person-to-person contact? Obviously it is more informal and if things don't go anywhwere it is no big deal. And more spontaneous, with the possibility of meeting folks from all over the world. Also more directed--rather than wasting time on chitchat you can get right to the point and post your concern.

So far with CPD23 I have enjoyed reading all the various posts but have not contacted anyone directly. Perhaps LinkedIN will change things. What I do intend to do as a result of this class is create another blog to post some of my writings with the goal of perhaps publishing someday. I figure I could advertise the blog on the author notes at the bottom of my magazine articles--now all I need is the time!

I believe social networking does foster a wider sense of community based on interests rather than location. Plus you can have specific friends who are interested in the same things you are. I still don't understand, though, how folks have time for all their friends!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about these websites seeming to know who your 'friends' are before you do. My Facebook page is constantly recommending that I be friends with my aunts sister, even though I'm not friends with my aunt on Facebook. Kind of creepy....

    ReplyDelete