Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CPD23: Thing 15

Over the years I have attended NYLA (NY State Library Association) and PLA (Public Library Assoc) conferences as well as smaller, systems-wide gatherings. I have also spent one full day at the ALA (American Library Association) expo. From the latter experience, I know that I unequivocably do better at smaller events for the same reason I have narrowed my shopping preferences to thrft shops, Target and JC Pennys--I like the style, I know what size fits (not always a given in our supersized world where, although the same weight, I am no magically a size 6 and no longer a 10). Either it's there or it's not and no point fretting over multiple choices.

At NYLA and at smaller systems events I have give brief talks on our summertime Book Buddy program and on various craft ideas. Some time I would also like to take a barnyard approach and discuss our Animals in the Library programs. Besides the fairly common reading dogs, we have llamas, we have webcammed our hatching chicks, we host an elaborate reindeer/author program and have even made room for the occasionaly Iditrod musher and seeing eye pony. Animals are an international magnet that guarantees a farmyard full of folks who otherwise might not even consider a library visit.

My husband and I organize road, trail and snowshoe races. One year I did organize a 5K for NYLA and it was a bit of a flop as far as attendance went--but next spring my director and I are thinking of producing the Read/Run 5k--a successful event that was dropped by the Literacy Volunteers due to cutbacks. We would gear it around our popular Summer Reading Program, with the goal of getting every kid walking or running in the Summer Reading Library Tshirt. Sounds like a good idea anyway, now that it is far enough in the future that I don't have to worry about it yet!
laura clark

No comments:

Post a Comment