Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CPD23: THING 16

While some of the publications mentioned pertain more to those living on the other side of the pond, the idea of advocacy is universal. I heard on the news the other day that in America lobbyists are the most influential members of the US government. They are not elected, but rather paid to advocate for certain interests. This, of course, is the difference. It is their full-time job, while advocacy for us is tacked onto an already too-full day.

Although I am a freelancer, outside of a few informal newsletters, I have made a semi-conscious decision not to write for library publications. At times I am tempted, but there are only so many hours in a day and for me at least, it is important to have a break. So I write about my fitness passions: trail running and snowshoe racing. At the tag line of my articles, I include my library email and it always amazes me how many folks contact me through this hint. When relevant, I quote from authors who coincidently "are available in our local public library." Once a year I do a sports roundup of books and DVDs of interest to runners. Best yet, is when I run or organize or volunteer at a local race and I hear kids shout, "There's the Library Lady!" I believe this makes me more approachable and ultimately,of greater local value than walking the straight and narrow.

laura clark

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a really good way to advocate for libraries :-)

    ReplyDelete